Christ-Church-as-it-was-c-1860Built in 1841 by Gilbert Scott, the architect of St Pancras Station in London, as a “Chapel of Ease”, Christ Church became a parish church in its own right in 1871 and to mark the occasion the chancel and steeple were added to the building.

At it’s foundation, the church life had a combination of bible teaching and concern for the ordinary people of Bridlington, and later in its development, missionary support grew as well.

Jonathan and Anne Couper arrived in 1981, and the church has grown and changed significantly  in that time. Worship patterns changed,  new congregations were planted, a network of churches established, some church members have been called to go overseas or have become staff, small groups were introduced, new ministries including Alpha, Pastoral Support, many conferences take place and a network of departments, administration and community programmes, all of which make up the life here at Christ Church.

Churches planted include St Mark’s in Westhill, Martongate Community Church, and St Andrew’s in Ulrome.

in 1992 Christ Church Community Services was also established which has included the development of the Pre-School, The Key Centre, Noah’s Ark Day Care Nursery, Children and Family Projects and many other community based projects including the Furniture Store and Todz Shop.

The greatest change to church life has been through the welcoming of the Holy Spirit moving in power by His presence and gifts. Prayer has grown through the House of Prayer and more recently  Prayer and Presence Meetings  and the introduction of an inner community life each day on site.

 

Christ Church Bridlington PCC was registered as a charity with the Charity Commission with effect from 16th July 2009, registered charity number 1130584.

The PCC has control of a registered charity company limited by guarantee, called Christ Church Community Services (CCS), company registration number 2848020 and registered charity number 1025815.